Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm on a boat!

I realize we haven't updated in a long time, but I thought it was high time we finally did. A lot has happened in the 10 months since our last update, so here it goes:

Aaron and I came back from Korea at the very end of February. At this point, we miss a lot of things about Korea (namely our friends, going out with them every weekend and having cool people to hang out with, cheap alcohol, galbi...okay, the galbi is just me but I do miss it a lot!) but I think overall we're glad to be back in the States for now. We don't miss our jobs though I do miss my students sometimes. I miss some of the ease of living there, though to be honest it was hard a lot of the time too. I think we miss living abroad more that Korea itself, though that should be taken care of with my next bullet point...

I've joined the Navy! I'm set to leave for boot camp in January, 2011. Boot Camp is for 2 months, and then I'm going to Monterey, CA where I'll be studying a foreign language for 50+ weeks. My job is CTI, which means I'll basically be a translator/linguist/awesome-person for the Navy. I aced my ASVAB and DLAB and qualified for that job; it was the only job I really wanted since I like languages so much. Aaron is going to pack up our house and follow me out to CA and then to wherever I get sent. There are a few reasons we decided to go down this route. They pay off the majority of my student loans, which is like a 50k signing bonus, and that's the major reason. Another reason is that we liked living overseas so much that we would really like to do it again, and we think that doing it as part of the military will be that much better. We were jealous of our military friends in Korea because they got to live on/near the bases, and had access to all the American stuff they wanted...groceries, restaurants, libraries, etc. and then they got to go "out" into Korea whenever they wanted. Kind of the best of both worlds. And we want that! No guarantee that we'll get it of course, but we can always hope. Plus we don't really have job security at this point and really need to get it.

So I'm really excited for the Navy; not really looking forward to boot camp of course (who ever does?) but after that, it should be a good time. For now we just need to start packing up our house and getting rid of all the extra stuff we have and don't need. The less we have, the less we have to move (and move, and move, and move...)!!!

Anyway that's pretty much it for now. Hopefully we can get this blog up and running again (mostly through Aaron) as we join the Navy family and have many wonderful/interesting/awful/tooth-gnashing-ly things happen to us! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment